Four Healthy Lunch Ideas for You and Your Kids
1. CHICKPEA SUNFLOWER SANDWICH
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (if salted, scale back on added salt)
- 3 Tbsp vegan mayo (sub tahini for a more earthy, nutty flavor)
- 1/2 tsp dijon or spicy mustard (if using tahini instead of mayo, use 1/4 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub agave or honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp fresh (or 1 Tbsp dried) dill, finely chopped
- healthy pinch each salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 pieces rustic bread, lightly toasted (gluten free for GF eaters)
- Sliced avocado, onion, tomato, and or lettuce for serving (optional)
- 1/4 cup hummus
- juice of 1/2 lemon (~1 Tbsp)
- 3/4 - 1 tsp dried dill (or sub 2-3 tsp fresh)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
- Optional: Sea salt to taste
- Prepare garlic herb sauce and set aside.
- Add chickpeas to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork for texture. Then add sunflower seeds, mayo, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, dill, salt and pepper and mix with a spoon. Tate and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toast bread (if desired) and prepare any other sandwich toppings you desire (tomato, onion, lettuce).
- Scoop a healthy amount of filling onto two of the pieces of bread, add desired toppings and sauce, and top with other two slices of bread.
- Sunflower-chickpea mixture will keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days, making it great for quick, weekday lunches!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1½ tablespoons reduced fat mayo
- 1½ tablespoons fat free plain greek yogurt
- 4 hoagie rolls or pita pockets
- optional: lettuce and tomatoes
- Add garlic powder, seasoning salt, sugar, dijon mustard, mayo, and greek yogurt to a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken, avocados, celery, and onions and stir to coat well. Spread mixture onto hoagie rolls or stuff into pita pockets. Add additional toppings such as lettuce and tomatoes. Enjoy!
1 large whole wheat wrap
3 tbsp cream cheese or hummus
4 slices turkey or your child’s favorite lunch meat
2 cups chopped veggies, rainbow colors
1/2 tsp salt dash or pepper
1. Spread 1 1/2 tbsp of cream cheese on wrap.
2. Sprinkle a bit of salt and/or pepper on the cheese (optional). Place turkey or favorite lunch meat on the wraps on top of the cream cheese. Set aside.
3. Chop all your veggies into strips
4. Arrange veggies on top of the lunch meat on the wraps
5. Roll up wraps
6. Slice the wrap into 5 small spirals.
4. GREEK YOGURT EGG SALAD SANDWICH
- 8 large eggs
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette, cut into 3-4 equal pieces, toasted, for serving
- 2 cups arugula, for serving
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced, for serving
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced, for serving
1. Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Cover eggs with a tight-fitting lid and remove from heat; set aside for 8-10 minutes. Drain well and let cool before peeling and dicing.
2. In a large bowl, roughly mash eggs with Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Serve sandwiches on baguette with arugula, tomatoes, avocado and egg salad mixture.
Lunch is not boring anymore! Happy trying and cheers ;)